Search This Blog

Friday, June 4, 2010

Singing

In my mind, I am a convinced rationalist. I honor God with words. Although precise verbal formulations never “capture” reality, words and phrases can evoke and reveal what might otherwise remain obscure. Words are our hypotheses, thrown before us into the abyss of the unknown. They are our bridges, linking soul to soul. They reassure us with their compelling logic. They comfort us with their illusory ability to name the unnameable.
 
But in my heart, something more is going on. Why is the worship of many African American congregations so moving? Why do I come away from the liturgy of a Russian Orthodox Church physically exhausted but spiritually soaring? From whence comes the thrill in my breast as bright Brandenburg cadences dance through the hall? From what well flow the tears in my eyes as the plaintive wail of Louis Armstrong’s trumpet engulfs me?

Words may be our bridges, but music is the rising dew, the meandering stream, the roaring cataract beneath -- now gentle, now ominous, now elfish, now raging, now sorrowful, now luminous, now full of dread, now full of mystery. Where words circle or suggest our reality, music draws us deeply into it. Where words are our hypotheses, music is our affirmation.

Singing, especially. Singing is to humans as roaring is to lions, as neighing is to horses, as chirping is to birds. The breath of creation flows through us as it blows through tree branches and tumbleweed. When we stop singing, the breath of life is blocked in us, and life itself begins to wane.

From times immemorial, we have sung -- at the hearth, in public arenas, around campfires, in the market place. We have sung old songs and new. We have sung at birth and at war, in joy and in fear. Our songs have linked generations. What will become of our world when that last real songs pass from our memory, if no new songs take their place, and if we are left only with I-Pods to fill the void?

Singing knows neither tomorrow nor yesterday, yet it links us to those who have gone before and those who will follow us. It gives energy, yields meaning, and invites commitment. It originates in the mysterious depths of life itself, and calls us into the Community of Life. It may be that my breath and your breath together produce the sound. But is that sound not waiting already on the lips of God, waiting for our breath to bring it to life in this world? When we truly sing together, do we not open ourselves to the breath of all life, the breath of all being, and let it sing its song through us?

Singing together -- in concert, as it were -- is one of the great pleasures in life. Whether the music divides us into parts or pulls us along from the beginning in some irenic unison, it fashions a community from the separate selves that we bring. As we give ourselves to song, does not the song give back to us? Although it depends upon our individual gifts, does not our singing transcend our individuality? It brings -- at least for the moment -- minds, hearts and bodies together with a common passion. My singing involves my commitment to life. Our singing together involves our commitment to share our lives in community.

We welcome the lilt and loveliness of our music. As its chords and cadences come to life among us,  we honor the songs we sing. 

3 comments:

  1. Budd -- beautifully put! I've always maintained that music is THE universal language: no matter where you go in the world (on Earth, at least ;) the notes mean the same thing. Words can be phonetically learned (as evidenced by every choir who has ever sung Latin). It's the JOY of letting those miraculous feelings flow out, made even better when singing with one or one hundred more voices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this post on singing Budd. It made me smile. What a blessing to listen to ANYONE who can move our spirits with their voice (s). I couldn't count the number of times in my life I've been brought to tears, or jumped to my feet through the community of music. I like what you said: 'singing is to humans as roaring is to lions.' :-)

    Before I could write, I was singing (or roaring) my little heart out. Trying to figure out life, I was making it up stories with my sing-songy-child voice. Oh to be a kid: uninhibited, clueless, singing away because we want to, because we like the sound of our own voice, because it feels natural. Now that I'm older I realize that I'll never be singing on stage (a grave disappointment after all the hours of practice I've spent singing in front of a mirror with a hairbrush). I can't carry a tune to save my life. Honestly, I have 'gift envy' around anyone who can sing on key. My hope is when I go to heaven, God will restore my voice so I don't have to feel embarrassed singing next to the angles. LOL I've accepted my earthly limitations, and apologize to anyone who has to stand next to me during church. Outside of church, I don't care who hears me. I'll just keep roaring. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Budd. It brings back memories of the two of us in the balcony of St. Lukes trying to find the right alto notes to the hymns that were being sung for the service. I think we got a few of them right, but my favorite memory is "In The Garden". I think we nailed that one.

    ReplyDelete